“The Greenwood County Historical Society has acquired two dozer blades that were donated by Russell and Sons Construction Company out of Longview, Texas, formerly located in Eureka, Kansas. The blades were brought from Longview, Texas then unloaded by TCI Industrial Services of Fredonia, Kansas using a crane on August 22, 2023. The two blades were designed by Russell and Sons Construction and used in reclamation work on coal mines in Southeast Kansas, Arkansas, Texas and Arizona. More information on the design, fabrication and use of the blades will be found at the Greenwood County Museum in the next few months.”
Earliest known teaching certificate issued in Greenwood County donated to the Greenwood County Historical Society and Museum
This document was researched and discovered by Gib Rhodes and donated to the museum by the Robert Curry family of Madison.
The framed image includes the original hand-written teaching certificate issued to Sarah Lipsey on June 10, 1864 by Edwin Tucker, one of the founders of Eureka, often referred to as “the father of Eureka”; and a photograph of Sarah Reed Lipsey, the recipient of the certificate.
The certificate reads:
“This is 2 (to) certify that Sarah R. Lipsey has been examined and found competent 2 (to) give instruction in orthography, writing, arithmetic, English, grammar, and geography and have exhibited satisfactory testimonials of good moral character is authorized to teach these branches in any common school within this county.
Superintendent Public Instruction of Greenwood County”
Sarah most likely taught at a log cabin or native lumber school in the Madison area. It was also likely the school building probably was not given a name and it was in the days before school district numbers were assigned to schools. Little is known about this period of time because school and teaching records were not required by Kansas law until 1886.
Included in the display are several early textbooks in reading, arithmetic, and English; a wood framed slate; and the lunchbox carried to school by Gladys Beuchat and her sister.
Come in and see this remarkable artifact and many other interesting items at the Greenwood County Historical Society Museum. We are open Monday – Friday from 10:00 – 4:00.
Greenwood County has a history of creative people. Now on display at the museum are creations showcasing the artistic talents of several of our past residents.
This quilt was done by the Methodist Church group of Piedmont in 1912. It was donated to the museum by Evelyn Reno (McCoy) in 1979.
The quilt was made and sold at auction to raise money to build a parsonage for the church. Mrs. Reno’s husband bought the quilt at the auction. The parsonage was still standing in 1987.
A picture of the proposed parsonage is embroidered in the center of the quilt on a 20 x 20” block with hand-stitched quilting in a diamond pattern. This block is surrounded by 368 names embroidered on 10 x 10 ½” white blocks, hand-quilted in an orange peel pattern using white thread. The picture and names are done in red on the white background. The four corner blocks have embroidered roses and tulips surrounding the names. These flowers are also placed in the corners of the 20” block.
The quilt is bound in a red and white stripe print and it is backed in white.